PROPANE SAFETY INFORMATION
If You Smell Gas
1. NO FLAMES OR SPARKS!
Immediately put out all smoking materials and other open flames. Do not operate lights, appliances, telephones, or cell phones. Flames or sparks from these sources can trigger an explosion or a fire.
2. LEAVE THE AREA IMMEDIATELY!
Get everyone out of the building or area where you suspect gas is leaking.
3. SHUT OFF THE GAS.
Turn off the main gas supply valve on your propane tank if it is safe to do so. To close the valve, turn it to the right (clockwise).
4. REPORT THE LEAK.
From a neighbor’s home or other nearby building away from the gas leak, call your propane supplier right away. If you can’t reach your propane supplier, call 911 or your local fire department.
5. DO NOT RETURN TO THE BUILDING OR AREA
until your propane supplier, emergency responder, or qualified service technician determines that it is safe to do so.
6. GET YOUR SYSTEM CHECKED.
Before you attempt to use any of your propane appliances, your propane supplier or a qualified service technician must check your entire system to ensure that it is leak-free.
An existing customer that has not been serviced within a two year period must have a leak test performed upon delivery.
We must run a pressure test when there is an interruption of service: when out of gas, or when a service valve has been turned off, or connect or disconnect appliance, or a section of new or modified gas piping is placed into service.
Can You Smell It?
Propane is a safe energy source and propane leaks are very rare. However, we’ve added an odor of rotten eggs to propane that gives it a distinctive smell to assist in the detection of propane leaks. Some people may have difficulty smelling propane due to their age (older people may have a less sensitive sense of smell); a medical condition; or the effects of medication, alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.
ODOR LOSS: On rare occasions, propane can lose its odor. Several things can cause this including:
The presence of air, water, or rust inside a propane tank, cylinder or piping.
The passage of leaking propane through the soil
Since there is a possibility of odor loss or problems with your sense of smell, always respond immediately to even a faint odor of gas.
DON’T RUN OUT OF GAS. SERIOUS SAFETY HAZARDS, INCLUDING FIRE OR EXPLOSION, CAN RESULT.
If an appliance valve or a gas line is left open, a leak could occur when the system is recharged with propane.
Propane Safety and You
We at Red Baker Propane strive to keep our customers safe, comfortable and happy!
Relighting Your Pilots
- We strongly recommend that for safety reasons, you call a qualified propane service company to relight pilots. However,
if you do relight the pilots yourself:
- Turn all appliance controls and manual shut-off valves to the “off'” position.
- Slowly open the tank shut-off valve.
- Carefully smell for the presence of propane at floor level and in low spots before attempting to relight pilots.
- If gas is detected – STOP – See “What To Do If You Smell Gas.”
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for pilot lighting. If you cannot find the instructions, do not attempt to light the pilot.
OTHER IMPORTANT SAFETY RULES
- Do not allow unqualified personnel to service your propane system or appliance.
- Do not let your system run out of propane.
- Do not enter an area where you suspect a gas leak. If you are in such an area leave immediately.
- Be alert for propane odor when working in areas where propane is used. Even a faint odor may indicate a hazardous situation.
- Do not try to judge for yourself the level of danger of a gas leak by trying to determine if the smell of gas is weak or strong. All gas leaks pose serious risk.
- Repeated pilot outages could indicate a hazardous condition. Don’t attempt to relight the pilot, or service your equipment. Call your propane supplier or another qualified service company.
- If one of your gas appliances has been flooded, shut off the gas immediately at the tank. Do not use your gas system again until the flooded equipment has been checked and serviced.
- Improperly vented or defective appliances can cause potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning. Have your propane system and appliances periodically inspected by your propane service company.
- Don’t tamper with or use tools to operate controls. If controls are difficult to operate by hand, call your propane service company immediately.
- Keep combustible products, like gasoline, kerosene or cleaners in separate areas from propane appliances. Your appliance pilot light could ignite fumes from these combustibles.
- Don’t operate any gas appliance without reading the instructions carefully.
WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE?
You can’t taste or smell CO, but it is a very dangerous gas. High levels of CO can come from appliances that are not operating correctly, or from a venting system or chimney that becomes blocked.
CO CAN BE DEADLY!
High levels of CO can make you dizzy or sick. In extreme cases, CO can cause brain damage or death. Symptoms of CO poisoning include: headache, dizziness, fatigue, shortness of breath, and nausea.
IF YOU SUSPECT CO IS PRESENT, ACT IMMEDIATELY!
- If you or a family member shows physical symptoms of CO poisoning, get everyone out of the building and call 911 or your local fire department.
- If it is safe to do so, open windows to allow entry of fresh air, and turn off any appliances you suspect may be releasing CO.
- If no one has symptoms, but you suspect that CO is present, call your propane retailer or a qualified service technician to check CO levels and your propane equipment.
CO DETECTORS CAN IMPROVE SAFETY.
For an extra measure of safety, consider installing a CO detector listed by UL on each level of your home.
TO HELP REDUCE THE RISK OF CO POISONING:
- Have a qualified service technician check your propane appliances and venting systems annually, preferably before the heating season.
- Install UL-listed CO detectors on every level of your home.
- Never use a gas oven or range-top burners to provide space heating.
- Never use portable heaters indoors unless they are designed and approved for indoor use.
- Never use a barbecue grill (propane or charcoal) indoors for cooking or heating.
- Regularly check your appliance exhaust vents for blockage.